Primary PurposeTo perform various cleaning, grounds keeping, and limited maintenance duties to maintain attractiveness, cleanliness, general safety and functioning of school grounds and facilities.
Description of Duties and tasksESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Custodian performs all essential functions in accordance with all safety regulations and actively tries to eliminate safety hazards in the workplace.
1. Perform various cleaning tasks, including sweeping and cleaning floors, periodically stripping and resealing floors, buffing and wet mopping specific floor areas, and shampooing carpets using such equipment as brooms, mops, shampooers, buffers and vacuum cleaners. Other cleaning tasks include removing trash, wiping desks and furniture, cleaning windows, stairways, corridors, walls and fixtures, and scrubbing and sanitizing rest rooms. These tasks use equipment such as buckets, sponges, cleaning cloths and commercial chemical cleaning agents (e.g. bleaches or disinfectants). Various cleaning tasks may be performed during 90% of the average employee’s shift, depending on shift hours.
2. Replace various expendable items and supplies as needed, such as toilet paper, paper towels, drinking cups, liquid soap and light bulbs. Replacing supplies is performed during 5% of the average employee’s shift.
3. Move or relocate furniture according to room requirements for next occupants or class. This includes setting out or removing chairs, moving tables, or setting up other furniture as required. Moving or relocating furniture may be performed 5% during the average employee’s shift, depending on shift hours.
4. Inventory supplies at individual work stations in each building at end of shift and as necessary as work schedule is intermittent and may not be for consecutive days. This is recorded on an inventory form and submitted to the Supervisor.
5. Model and ensure diversity and cultural competency (respect, inclusiveness, reflecting, valuing, and welcoming cultural differences) in all position responsibilities regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, gender, social class, sexual orientation, ability, nationality, age, language, origin, or employment status.
MARGINAL JOB FUNCTIONS
During certain periods, Custodian may be required to perform a combination of the following functions, with the percentage of time spent performing each function to be decided by the EVS Supervisor or Director of Facilities.
1. Maintain department cleaning tools and other department equipment in proper working condition.
2. Perform loading and unloading of departmental delivery vehicles.
3. Attend meetings and training sessions as directed.
4. Perform related duties as assigned or directed. Follow safety procedures and maintain work area in a clean and orderly manner.
5. Refer any security or emergency problems to Supervisor.
Required Knowledge, Skills and AbilitiesIndividuals must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities or be able to explain and demonstrate that the individual can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.
1. Ability to read English sufficient to read department equipment manuals, caution notices, safety manuals, written instructions and similar written materials.
2. Basic English language writing skills for completion of time reports, incident reports, and other department forms.
3. Basic mathematical skills, including trade mathematics (addition and subtraction) necessary to inventory and verify inventories.
4. Basic mechanical aptitude for operation and minor repair of custodial and maintenance equipment.
5. Ability to grasp, lift and/or carry or otherwise move department equipment or college furniture up to 35 pounds, unassisted.
6. Ability to climb stairs, ladders and scaffolding, working at heights above 30 feet.
7. Ability to work with commercial chemical cleaning agents, e.g. bleaches, disinfectants, etc.
8. Ability to perform duties in confined spaces.
9. Visual ability, corrected, to observe and detect hazards at a distance of 30 yards and to verify written information at a close range.
10. Sufficient manual dexterity in one hand to be able to operate hand held radio and manually complete various department forms.
11. Ability to stand, walk, bend, stoop and/or sit and continuously perform essential job functions for an eight hour shift, with two fifteen-minute breaks and a one-hour meal break.
12. Ability to learn and perform all essential job functions accurately and safely with minimum direct supervision, within two weeks after beginning work.
13. Some knowledge of the mission of the college and the role of the Custodian in achieving them.
14. Sufficient computer literacy to produce documents or reports as may be required by the position.
15. Ability to consistently work within the framework of collegiality and teamwork for problem-solving in the workplace.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent required.
Experience: Minimum of one year of custodial experience.
Additional Job InformationNON-DISCRIMINATION:
It is the policy of the Southwestern Oregon Community College Board of Education that there will be no discrimination or harassment on the grounds of race, color, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, age, veteran status, or disability in any educational programs, activities or employment. Persons having questions about equal opportunity and nondiscrimination should contact:
Vice President of Administrative Services
1988 Newmark Av Tioga 512
Phone 541-888-7206 or TDD 541-888-7368.
All other issues, concerns, and complaints should also be directed to the Vice President of Administrative Services for referral to the appropriate administrator.
Southwestern Oregon Community College only accepts applications through this online application system. We want you to be successful in applying with us. We highly encourage you to complete and submit your application in advance of the deadline.
For assistance with this, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. For technical assistance with your application, please call (855) 524-5627.
Please note: We recognize that our application process can be lengthy, so before you begin, please read all of the stated requirements to determine if you meet them. Applicants must meet all of the stated minimum/special qualifications and additional requirements to be considered for this position. Based on your responses to the qualifying questions, the system may automatically screen you out from further consideration.
Required documents must be provided at the time of application. Please remove any personal information such as photographs, date of birth, gender, social security number, and other protected information from your documents. Documents containing protected information will be considered incomplete. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Positions are subject to budget consideration and approval. For the candidate who is hired into this position, salary placement will be based on guidelines in administrative policies and procedures or collective bargaining agreements (as applicable). For this reason, please be sure to include everything in your application that you want the college to consider towards placement.
The college does not sponsor employees in the visa application process if they intend to use this as their means to work in the United States. This means that all required work visas must be in place and supported by appropriate evidence to be employed by Southwestern.
Final candidates will be subject to a criminal background check as part of the employment process.
REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION STATEMENT:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
This job description is a general description of essential job functions. It is not intended as an employment contract nor is it intended to describe all responsibilities, skills, effort, or work conditions associated with the job someone in this position would perform. All employees of Southwestern Oregon Community College are expected to perform tasks as assigned by Southwestern Oregon Community College supervisory/management personnel regardless of job title or routine job duties.
VETERAN’S PREFERENCE STATEMENT:
Applicants are eligible to use Veteran’s Preference when applying with Southwestern Oregon Community College in accordance with ORS 408.225, 408.230 and 408.235; and OAR 105-040-0010 and 105-040-0015. Preference will only be given if the applicant meets the minimum qualifications and any special qualifications for the position and electronically attach the required documentation at the time of application.
MEMBER COPY 4 of the Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD Form 214 or 215) – OR – Letter from the US Dept. of Veterans Affairs indicating a non-service connected pension.
Disabled Veterans must also submit a copy of their Veterans disability preference letter from the Department of Veterans Affairs. You can request copies of your military service record through the National Archives website at: http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/
For information regarding Veteran’s Preference qualifications, visit the following website: http://www.oregonjobs.org/DAS/STJOBS/vetpoints.shtmlq